2 New Blur Films Coming Soon: To The End / Wembley 2023

A space for anything Blur related

Moderator: TripleJay97

ricj

Re: 2 New Blur Films Coming Soon: To The End / Wembley 2023

Post by ricj »

Well, I got to see the film yesterday and really enjoyed it. Definitely wasn't the swansong/goodbye vehicle that I was briefly worried it might be, in fact quite the opposite really. But there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said by 101reykjavik but in a stream of consciousness format, here's a few thoughts:

They definitely look to be in the best place personally that they have ever been. It really gave me a clear and brutal understanding of just HOW hard it is for them to do one of their reunions on every level. From the logistics of getting together and practicing the old songs and putting together a production to the physical and mental toll it takes on them as 50 year olds - I could really feel it and it found it quite anxiety inducing at times so in future when we're all clamouring for another Blur album or tour, I will definitely understand their reticence. I enjoyed Grahams moody monologue at the tour rehearsal. I was a bit confused about the previously mentioned 'dark' section. When Alex was talking about waking up in a different country with no memory, and Damon was talking about his concern around that, I wasn't sure whether that was something that had happened in the past or on that tour? It all seemed a bit random and vague and out of the blue. And not sure if it was just in my cinema but the sound mix on the Hammersmith encore was literally excruciating.

All in all though, a really powerful little film about friendship and the complicated relationships between four people who have known each other for a very long time.
101reykjavik
Site Admin

Post by 101reykjavik »

Couldn’t agree more. It brought home to me how we fans are often blissfully unaware of quite what an undertaking a new album / tour is for anyone, more so for a band not in the first flush of youth. I should be very grateful for everything we have had during this period!

On the Alex remarks about waking up in another country with no memory, I was equally a bit confused. I couldn’t tell if it was a reminiscence or recent experience. Anyone else see it and make more sense of it?

Sorry to hear about the sound mix. Seemed okay at the screening I saw, certainly nothing leapt out at me as noticeably wrong, put it that way.
101reykjavik
Site Admin

Post by 101reykjavik »

Thanks for the link. Ordered. 😁
allhell

Post by allhell »

I also thought Alex's anecdote about waking up in a different country was very confusing, especially as it was segued with a solo Damon interview saying he was worried about him. I'm fairly certain that it happened during the European festival tour last year as I remember Alex mentioning it in a Hello! interview (I know).
allhell

Post by allhell »

As for the film itself, I thought the first 40 minutes or so were brilliant. Seeing them in the studio, having an inside look into Damon's new life...I wish the entire documentary had been like that. Imo it falls off big time and becomes really formulaic once the warm-up tour begins. It obviously makes sense to have a few scenes in Colchester and Wolverhampton. Not sure we needed the rest, particularly all the concert footage. It also features too many interviews with individual members of the band. Just let us see them interact with one another!

Similarly, from watching the doc you get the sense that they only spent a couple of afternoons on TBoD, which is very obviously not the case! Bit of a wasted opportunity as they must have had loads of footage from the sessions.
allhell

Post by allhell »

Also did anyone catch the title of the song Damon referenced when talking about taking acid and climbing up a clock tower?
101reykjavik
Site Admin

Post by 101reykjavik »

Welcome to the forum allhell.

Alex's 'episode' was recent then maybe. Interesting but also sobering. It does make you think about the perils of being a touring band and you can understand the reluctance to be on that merry-go-round for very long.

The song reference is St Charles Square, isn't it? 'It’s up and down the clock of the town hall back in time.' I remember Damon talking about it on the Sodajerker podcast episode he did last year. Good listen that actually, if anyone didn't catch it at the time.

I can see what you're saying about the second half of the film. The interaction with the band is fantastic when we see it, it's true. Would indeed love to see some more. What we need is a director's cut / Beatles Get Back style three-part deep dive of the sessions. :D Hmm, might be waiting for that...
ricj

Post by ricj »

Interview with the band on the BBC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPV15SuANAU

Can't decide if it's hilarious or worrying that they decided to interview Damon separately !
101reykjavik
Site Admin

Post by 101reykjavik »

Let’s hope Damon was just busy somewhere else, eh? :)