The Beatles Thread

Non-Blur related music discussions

Moderator: TripleJay97

101reykjavik
Site Admin

Re: The Beatles Thread

Post by 101reykjavik »

So Paul coming to Manchester and London o2 in December for Got Back tour. Kind of annoying that the London gigs are mid-week. Don’t fancy trekking to Manchester so weighing up my options before the presale opens on Weds for potentially bagging a ticket for the o2.
101reykjavik
Site Admin

Post by 101reykjavik »

Well, I chanced my arm with the presale for the Thursday at the O2 today and managed to get a ticket. As always with these things, massive wait followed by mad scramble to grab whatever ticket happened to make itself available. Secured row B in a section in the higher stand off to the right – but only about half way back so not a million miles away thankfully. Feeling stiffed at £160 plus booking etc. Still, didn't have to, did I?

Not seen Paul since the Out There tour in 2015 (wow, was that really nine years ago?!) so I'm telling myself it was a price worth paying. Pretty excited I must say and buzzing to have got a ticket.

Now fully expecting the Friday to be announced as an additional date at the O2 though!
freestyle45

Post by freestyle45 »

101reykjavik wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:47 pm No point me evangelising freestyle45, but if you’ve never given it a go, try side two of Abbey Road. All of it, but specifically ‘the long one’, the medley after Because, but all that side is gorgeous. Production / tracks on Abbey Road probably most likely to appeal based on the tracks you picked out as liking. 👍🏻
Yes! Only because of Richie Sambora covering Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End. I like that.
101reykjavik
Site Admin

Post by 101reykjavik »

Concert for Bangladesh available to stream for the first time: https://www.thebeatles.com/george-harri ... ital-music

As part of the One Hand Clapping campaign, the film will get a worldwide cinema release, tickets soon available: https://www.onehandclapping.film/?utm_s ... 5R,1SQS9,1
101reykjavik
Site Admin

Post by 101reykjavik »

The latest attempt to part the super fan from their hard-earned: the 1964 US Albums in Mono 8LP Boxset.

https://www.thebeatles.com
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/the ... vinyl-box/

Can't say this one is likely to grab me, if I'm honest. I've always been on board with most of these boxes but this just doesn't hold a lot of intrigue for me. The only thing in its favour from my personal point of view is that they are the mono mixes. That's nice. I don't have any mono vinyl and I always kicked myself that I didn't pick up the Mono vinyl box when it came out (or a year or two later even when it was still fairly easily available). Prices for that are astronomical these days. Even for the stereo box I do own, prices are pretty steep. So, there's the mono thing, but that's about it.

The actual albums themselves, from a UK perspective, hold no special place in the heart. Not to me at least anyway. I guess there's the completist / fear of missing out angle, but I just don't think I care enough. Not at £229.99 anyway... Different in the home US market where I assume this will fly. I wonder if UK copies will hang around for months and become discounted in due course. It's not a knock-out product to me, I think others might feel similar.

The big gap in my boxset collection is the super deluxe White Album, which I skipped on at the time for some reason. I'd rather spend a bit on that, for sure. So that's where my money might go I think. Can pick up wrapped copies on eBay for less than this.
101reykjavik
Site Admin

Post by 101reykjavik »

New film action coming soon to Disney ably assisted by Peter Jackson once again. A tie-in with the new Beatles US albums box-set. Makes sense. Happy to have this, I'm definitely passing on the albums though.

Beatles '64, An All-New Documentary From Producer Martin Scorsese and Director David Tedeschi, To Stream Exclusively On Disney+ Beginning November 29

An all-new documentary from producer Martin Scorsese and director David Tedeschi, will stream exclusively on Disney+ beginning November 29, 2024. The film captures the electrifying moment of The Beatles’ first visit to America. Featuring never-before-seen footage of the band and the legions of young fans who helped fuel their ascendance, the film gives a rare glimpse into when The Beatles became the most influential and beloved band of all time.

The film includes rare footage filmed by pioneering documentarians Albert and David Maysles, beautifully restored in 4K by Park Road Post in New Zealand. The live performances from The Beatles first American concert at the Washington, DC Coliseum and their Ed Sullivan appearances were demixed by WingNut Films and remixed by Giles Martin. Spotlighting this singular cultural moment and its continued resonance today, the music and footage are augmented by newly filmed interviews with Paul and Ringo, as well as fans whose lives were transformed by The Beatles.

Beatles ’64 is directed by David Tedeschi and produced by Martin Scorsese, Margaret Bodde, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Olivia Harrison, Sean Ono Lennon, Jonathan Clyde, Mikaela Beardsley, with Jeff Jones and Rick Yorn serving as executive producers.